Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

'Lying' driver in bin lorry crash horror rebuffs calls to say sorry

By Lucy Christie

Published 22/08/2015

Harry Clarke at the city’s Sheriff Court
Harry Clarke at the city’s Sheriff Court
The scene of the fatal accident in December last year

The Glasgow bin lorry crash driver who blacked out at the wheel yesterday refused to apologise after being accused of telling a "pack of lies" about his medical history.

A lawyer for one of the six people killed told Harry Clarke (58) "it's all your fault" as legal teams pressed him to tell the truth at an inquiry into the December 22 accident.

It was alleged that the council driver failed to tell his employers about a history of fainting so he could keep his licence. Dorothy Bain QC, representing one of the victim's families, said: "You should never have been behind the wheel and you know that."

Mr Clarke refused to answer many questions for fear of implicating himself in a private prosecution by relatives. After he declined to reply several times, Ms Bain asked: "Do you not have the decency to think of someone other than yourself? Do you not think you should begin to make amends by choosing to answer?" But Mr Clarke again refused to answer.

Ronald Conway, acting for another of the victim's families, told Mr Clarke: "I want you to say sorry for the lies told and that those lies led to the deaths of six people." But the driver again declined.

The inquiry, which was adjourned until Tuesday, continues.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph