Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Man, 74, charged with sex attacks on boys at Southampton children's home

Published 05/12/2015

Colin Davis will appear at Southampton Magistrates' Court on January 17
Colin Davis will appear at Southampton Magistrates' Court on January 17

A 74-year-old man has been charged with a catalogue of historical sex crimes against nine boys at a former children's home.

Colin Davis faces 36 counts of indecent assaults allegedly committed against boys aged under 18 during the 1970s and early 1980s.

The charges relate to alleged offences at the Salerno children's home in Southampton, which closed in 2013.

Davis was charged by detectives from Hampshire Constabulary's Operation Marmion inquiry into historical cases of child sexual exploitation.

Police said the investigation does not involve alleged crimes at any other children's homes or institutions.

The prosecution follows a request last year by Hampshire police and crime commissioner Simon Hayes for a review of local child sex exploitation cases between 1997 and 2013.

Mr Hayes said this week that the review had identified the need to investigate 39 cases of alleged child sex exploitation and 13 outstanding missing persons.

Davis, of Lingfield Gardens, Southampton, is on conditional bail and will appear at Southampton Magistrates' Court on January 17.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph