Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Man and dog found dead on boat

A man and his dog have been found dead on a canal boat which firefighters believe may have been caused by carbon monoxide or other toxic fumes.

Police and fire crews attended the boat on the Oxford Canal at Tramway, Banbury, Oxfordshire, at 1.30pm on Thursday after they were alerted to the deaths by South Central Ambulance Service

One fire engine from Banbury was sent and on arrival a crew boarded the boat wearing breathing apparatus and carrying gas monitoring equipment.

An Oxfordshire fire service spokesman said: "No toxic atmosphere was detected and the boat was declared safe to enable further investigations to be made by the police, but sadly both the man and his pet dog were pronounced dead at the scene."

Watch manager John Callaway said: "Although the cause of this tragic incident has yet to be determined and is an on-going investigation by the police, there are a number of appliances common to both boats and caravans, as well as houses, that have the ability to produce toxic fumes.

"It is our advice that all such equipment is professionally installed by a qualified technician and serviced regularly in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. We also recommend that both smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are fitted and tested weekly."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph