Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Man arrested as police storm property to end Northolt stand-off

Published 23/10/2016

Armed police at Wood End Lane in Northolt
Armed police at Wood End Lane in Northolt

A stand-off between police and a man said to be in possession of dangerous items including petrol and combustibles has ended after officers stormed the property.

Police forced their way into the address in Northolt, west London, and detained a 46-year-old man at around 8.10pm on Sunday, Scotland Yard said.

The man has been arrested on suspicion of cultivation of cannabis, affray and offences under the explosives act and has been taken to a west London police station.

Up to 80 people were evacuated from properties in the immediate area during the stand-off - which lasted almost three days - but following a search of the address police have now lifted the cordon and residents are able to return home.

Police were first called to the property on Wood End Lane shortly before 1am on Friday after reports of concern for an occupant and that hazardous articles were inside.

Negotiations with the man were unsuccessful, prompting officers to attempt to gain access to the property.

The Met said its priority had been to get the man out of the address safely.

Chief Superintendent Paul Martin said: "I am really pleased that this incident has now ended, and importantly ended without anyone coming to harm.

"Our key priority throughout this was to get the man out of the address safely as we had growing concerns about his well-being and believed him to be in crisis.

"After attempts to negotiate over a number of days did not work, we used specialist officers to work out how we could gain entry to the address as safely as we could. They did that this evening."

He added: "I would like to thank all the local residents, especially those who were hugely disrupted by not being able to return to their homes, for their patience and co-operation."

Work at the property is ongoing and will take "some time", police said.

There is no suggestion the incident was terror-related or linked to any other ongoing police operation or investigation.

Julian Bell, leader of Ealing Council, said he was "pleased and relieved" the incident had been brought to a "peaceful and safe conclusion".

He said: "I would like to thank Northolt residents for their patience throughout this difficult time.

"I hope the area can be returned to normal as quickly as possible so that people can return home and get back to their usual routines.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all those officers, from all the emergency services and the council, who have worked around the clock throughout the weekend dealing with this incident."

Press Association

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph