Man charged over island murder
A 21-year-old man has been charged in connection with the murder of a teenage boy on a Scottish island.
A second man, aged 20, has also been arrested over the murder of 16 year-old Liam Aitchison.
Northern Constabulary said both were in custody and a report would be made to the Procurator Fiscal.
Liam was the first person to be killed on the Isle of Lewis for more than 40 years. The teenager's body was discovered in a derelict building in the Steinish area of Stornoway on Tuesday, November 22.
He had been missing for a week when his body was discovered.
Liam was from Uist, but had been living in Stornoway for the past couple of months. His family said in a statement that his death was "heartbreaking".
On Wednesday, television presenter Matthew Wright apologised to Liam's family for comments he made about the death on his show. During a newspaper review segment on The Wright Stuff on Tuesday, a panel discussed the death of the teenager.
The presenter put on a Scottish accent and said "there's been another murder", copying a well-known phrase from TV detective show Taggart. Panel member Charlie Baker described the investigation as "the longest-ever episode of Taggart".
A statement issued on behalf of Liam's family on Wednesday said the comments on the Channel 5 morning show were "very upsetting", "insulting" and "insensitive". Mr Wright apologised on air during Wednesday's programme and has since written to Liam's family.
The last murder on Lewis was in 1968, when 80-year-old Mary Mackenzie was found dead in her cottage on the west side of the island in Brue. A man was reportedly charged with her murder but the case was not proven.