Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Man charged over Leytonstone 'terror attack'

Published 07/12/2015

Police outside Leytonstone station in east London after the attack
Police outside Leytonstone station in east London after the attack

A man arrested after a knife attack at Leytonstone Underground Station has been charged with attempted murder, Scotland Yard said today.

Muhaydin Mire, 29, of Sansom Road, Leytonstone, will appear in custody at Westminster Magistrates Court accused of the attempted murder of a 56-year-old man on Saturday.

Two men were attacked at the station by a man who allegedly declared "This is for Syria".

Police have increased patrols at transport hubs to "identify and deter terrorism" after the incident at the station in east London.

The 56-year-old man was left with "serious" stab wounds and another person was injured.

The knifeman was Tasered by police and arrested just before 7.15pm, Scotland Yard said.

Graphic footage of the attacks posted online soon after the incident showed a large pool of blood spattered on the station floor.

The video appeared to show the attacker wildly gesticulating and confronting several people in the station, before slashing a man in the throat area.

Assistant Chief Constable Mark Newton of British Transport Police said: "The safety of the travelling public remains our top priority. In addition to our usual specialist response teams, last week we launched Project Servator, deploying even more highly-visible police patrols designed to identify and deter terrorism.

"Following Saturday's incident, we are now deploying still more officers in this role. They involve both uniformed and plain-clothed officers, supported by other resources, such as armed officers, police dogs, a network of CCTV cameras, and the thousands of rail staff we work alongside.

"We ask the public to remain calm and carry on using public transport as normal."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph