Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Man charged over murder of mother killed in van crash

By Paul Peachey

Police have charged a man with murder and 13 counts of attempted murder after a series of hit-and-runs in Cardiff.

The 31-year-old, who police have not named, was also charged with four counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and dangerous driving.

He will appear at Cardiff Magistrates' Court today.

Earlier, the brother of the woman killed in Cardiff said she sacrificed her own life to shield her children from the full force of the impact.

Karina Menzies (32) was walking with two of her three children, aged eight and one, when a white van drove straight towards them.

“She just screamed and threw them out of the way as much as she could,” Craig Menzies said. “He still clipped them but she took it head on. She saved their lives.”

Ms Menzies was the only person killed from the series of hit-and-run crashes in the city on Friday afternoon over three miles.

A total of 13 people were injured and nine people, including five children, remained in hospital yesterday after the crashes. Two of the adults were still critically ill in hospital last night.

Ms Menzies' eldest daughter, aged 10, was on a group holiday to Florida at the time and will only be told of her mother's death when she returns to the country.

Ms Menzies' family said yesterday that she lived for her family. “She was a good friend to everyone and was well thought of in the community. She will be sorely missed by everyone.”

Catrin Evans, head of complex casework unit for the Crown Prosecution Service, Wales said: “The events of Friday afternoon have touched a significant number of people from communities around Cardiff and our thoughts are with all those affected.

“Our role at this stage is to review the evidence gathered so far and advise the police in respect of criminal charges.

“I can now confirm that a thorough review of the evidence available at this point has led us to conclude that there is sufficient evidence to charge the 31-year-old man who has been under arrest since Friday with one count of murder, 13 counts of attempted murder, four counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and one count of dangerous driving.

“We also concluded that it is in the public interest to charge the defendant with these offences,” she added.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph