Man charged with Blakelock murder
A 44-year-old man has been charged with the murder of Pc Keith Blakelock who died during the Broadwater Farm riots in 1985, prosecutors have said.
Nicholas Jacobs is accused of killing the 40-year-old officer, who was attacked and stabbed dozens of times as he tried to protect firefighters as they tackled a blaze at a supermarket during the height of the unrest in Tottenham, north London.
His relatives released a brief statement through police which said: "The family of Pc Keith Blakelock have never given up hope in getting justice for him. We welcome this news, and extend our eternal gratitude to the Metropolitan Police Service."
Jacobs will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Wednesday.
Alison Saunders from the Crown Prosecution Service said: "Following a thorough investigation by the Metropolitan Police Service, we have decided that Nicholas Jacobs should be charged with the murder of Pc Keith Blakelock during the disorder at Broadwater Farm in October 1985.
"This decision was taken in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors. We have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest to prosecute.
"We have also concluded that no further action should be taken against five other individuals suspected of taking part in the death of Pc Blakelock as there is insufficient evidence to warrant a prosecution."
Three men - Winston Silcott, Mark Braithwaite and Engin Raghip - were convicted in March 1987 of Pc Blakelock's murder but all three convictions were quashed four and a half years later, after forensic tests on pages of key interview records suggested they had been fabricated.
In 2003, Scotland Yard reopened the murder investigation after a review indicated there were possible new lines of inquiry, and in 2010 14 men were arrested in connection with Pc Blakelock's death and the attempted murder of his colleague Pc Richard Coombes.
Nine were told in August 2011 that they would face no further action, and Scotland Yard now say that another four have also been released from bail. Prosecutors have advised that a fifth person should also face no further action.