Man critical after bonfire accident
A man is fighting for his life in hospital after suffering critical internal injuries during a popular bonfire night event, police said.
The 21-year-old reveller, from Brighton, was seriously injured at the fireworks display at Landport recreation ground in Lewes, East Sussex, on Friday evening.
Police said the victim, who is a member of Commercial Square Bonfire Society, is being treated at the Royal Sussex County Hospital where his condition is critical but stable.
An joint investigation has been launched by Sussex Police, Lewes District Council and the Health and Safety Executive to establish how the accident occurred.
According to its website, Commercial Square Bonfire Society was formed in 1885 and is one of the oldest bonfire societies in the world.
The society organises an annual fancy dress parade through Lewes on November 5 to celebrate bonfire night.