Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Man released amid terror probe

One of four men arrested in a dramatic counter-terrorism operation last weekend has been released without charge, police said.

Scotland Yard said a 29-year-old British national of Pakistani origin arrested in Peckham, south-east London, had been freed, while the other three remain in custody.

Officers made the arrests in London last Sunday, including one swoop where marksmen used special ammunition to stop a car on Mansell Street, near the Tower of London.

The two 25-year-olds held after the "hard stop" are a British national of Turkish origin and a British national of Algerian origin.

A 28-year-old British national of Azerbaijani origin was tackled by police on upmarket Westbourne Grove in west London at around the same time.

Black-and-white CCTV footage showed a number of officers wrestling him to the ground outside the Planet Organic store at around 7pm on Sunday before police four cars arrived.

The three men were detained on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism and are being questioned at a police station in south London.

Police have been given until tomorrow to question them further.

Investigators have completed searches at six addresses in London and also on two vehicles.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph