Met in pledge over wedding protests
Scotland Yard has pledged to stop Muslim extremists turning the royal wedding into a "nightmare".
The commitment came after one radical group, Muslims Against Crusades (MAC), made a formal bid for permission to demonstrate outside Westminster Abbey on the big day.
Senior officers rejected the application but admitted they have no powers to ban a stationary protest elsewhere in central London.
Amid fears of chaos as the English Defence League announced it was planning a counter-protest, Assistant Commissioner Lynne Owens said officers would act "quickly, robustly and decisively".
Prince William and Kate Middleton expressed their gratitude for the efforts of the police.
A St James's Palace spokesman said: "The couple remain very grateful to the police for all they're doing to ensure a safe and enjoyable day for everyone participating in their wedding."
Details of the multimillion pound security operation were revealed as it emerged that royal preparations are fully in place with just a few "minor tweaks" to the service still to be carried out.
The bride and groom have been in charge of "every detail" of their "exquisitely beautiful" wedding day, St James's Palace said.
With 10 days to go, police said 5,000 officers will be on duty on the day.
Ms Owens urged calm after revealing officers had been contacted by Muslims Against Crusades, which vows on its website to launch a "forceful demonstration" on April 29.