Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Metro incident 'destroyed' victim

A black man who was blocked from boarding a Paris Metro train by Chelsea fans singing racist chants said the incident has "destroyed" him, and left him unable to work or travel on public transport.

Soulemayne S said his children had been left "traumatised" by reports of what happened, and that he has become depressed.

The French commuter was met with a barrage of abuse from fans who repeatedly pushed him back on to a platform and chanted, "We're racist, w e're racist and that's the way we like it" on the way to a Champions League match against Paris St-Germain last month.

Five men involved in the incident have been served with summonses over the issue, Scotland Yard said. The men will appear at Waltham Forest Magistrates' Court on March 25 "regarding a police application for football banning orders".

Soulemayne S refused an invitation by Chelsea to tonight's return game at Stamford Bridge, saying it was "just an attempt to make things up".

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: " I'm here like a child. I have got a phobia of public transport. I can't take public transport to go to work - since what happened I have been under a lot of pressure. And I have been referred to a psychologist.

"I can't sleep any more. Every hour, every instant, I think about what happened. I think about the ordeal."

He said his family had been "divided" by the "humiliation" he experienced, and that his children were traumatised, saying: "I am obliged to tell them that there are people who aren't very nice, and that there are people who don't like black skin."

He said: "This offer to go, this invitation, is just an attempt to make things up. For the moment I don't want to come because of what they've caused, the team and their fans.

"The Chelsea supporters have destroyed me. Even when I drive my car I feel like I'm being followed. I don't know if I am being followed by Chelsea fans, or police or the media. Even when I go and see my lawyer I am followed, when I go to see my therapist I feel like I'm being followed, and I've never had that in my life.

"The only problem I have in my life right now is because of Chelsea and their fans."

On his decision to reject the invitation to tonight's game, Soulemayne S previously told RTL radio: "I don't want to sit in that stadium next to those people who pushed me.

"I won't go. They can't buy me with a little piece of paper. I'm not a child."

A Chelsea spokesman said: "We appreciate he doesn't want to come to this particular game, however, our offer remains open and we hope he'll take us up on it so he can meet real Chelsea fans and experience the true spirit of the club."

A Metropolitan Police statement said the summonses were served today and yesterday.

Football banning orders are issued by courts following a conviction for a football-related offence after a complaint by the Crown Prosecution Service or a local police force, the Home Office website says.

They can last for between three and 10 years. Breaches of the orders can result in a sentence of up to six months in prison.

Chelsea FC said previously it was "appalled" and apologised to the victim, while manager Jose Mourinho said he was "ashamed" of the fans involved.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph