Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Michael Fallon authorised use of RAF Lakenheath for US air raid on Daesh camp

Published 19/02/2016

Michael Fallon allowed the use of RAF Lakenheath for the US air raid on a Daesh camp in Libya
Michael Fallon allowed the use of RAF Lakenheath for the US air raid on a Daesh camp in Libya

A US air raid on an Islamic State training camp in Libya was launched from an RAF base in Suffolk.

The attack, launched from RAF Lakenheath on Friday, has been welcomed by Defence Secretary Michael Fallon.

He said: "I welcome this strike that has taken out a Daesh (Islamic State) training camp being used to train terrorists to carry out attacks.

"I was satisfied that its destruction makes us all safer and I personally authorised the use of our bases."

A key Tunisian extremist is believed to have been killed in the attack on the camp, near the Tunisian border.

US officials added that around 60 militants were present at the site when the war planes struck.

In Libya, local officials estimated that more than 40 people were killed with more wounded.

The Obama administration has previously vowed to strike key IS targets in Libya when opportunities arise, h owever, the strike did not appear to mark the start of a sustained US air campaign in the country.

Earlier this month UK foreign office minister Tobias Ellwood confirmed that RAF war planes have already been involved in flying missions over the country but gave no further details.

He said the UK was prepared to provide advice, support and training to the Libyan military if political agreement could be reached on the formation of a new government of national unity.

But he said there were no plans to commit British troops directly against IS.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph