Miskiw bailed in hacking probe
A former News of the World executive arrested over phone hacking has been released on police bail.
Senior journalist Greg Miskiw, 61, was detained after visiting a London police station by appointment on Wednesday. He has been released on police bail until October.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "At approximately midday on Wednesday August 10, a 61-year-old man was arrested by appointment at a London police station by officers from Operation Weeting.
"He was arrested on suspicion of unlawful interception of communications, contrary to Section1(1) Criminal Law Act 1977 and on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications, contrary to Section1(1) Criminal Law Act 1977. He has subsequently been released on bail to a date in October pending further inquiries."
Mr Miskiw, who has been living in the US since leaving a senior editorial post at News International, told reporters last month he was planning to return to the UK to meet officers. He is believed to have left the recently-axed Sunday tabloid in 2005 before moving to Florida after a spell in Manchester.
The arrest by Operation Weeting detectives comes a week after Stuart Kuttner, the former managing editor of the News of the World, was held on suspicion of phone hacking and inappropriate payments to police.
Mr Miskiw was the 12th person to be arrested since Scotland Yard's fresh investigation into phone hacking was launched in January. These include a series of high-profile figures, including former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks and ex-Downing Street communications chief Andy Coulson.
The scandal has already caused the closure of the News of the World after 168 years and the resignation of two top police officers, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson and Assistant Commissioner John Yates.
The latest arrest came as Scotland Yard announced its communication chief Dick Fedorcio had been ordered to serve a "period of extended leave" following an allegation of gross misconduct over the hacking scandal.
Mr Fedorcio is being investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) over his relationship with hacking suspect Neil Wallis. The IPCC has told Mr Fedorcio that the investigation will examine whether he has committed any act of gross misconduct surrounding a contract the force gave to Mr Wallis's PR firm.