Mother hands in looting suspect, 15
A 15-year-old boy has been arrested for looting after his mother handed him in to police as the hunt goes on for more suspects.
The woman saw pictures of rioters trying to prise open the shutters of a shop in Salford as the shopping precinct was being looted on Tuesday evening.
She recognised her son as one of the looters and took him to the local police station, where he is now under arrest on suspicion of burglary. The boy is one of more than 200 people arrested across Manchester, Salford and Liverpool during the rioting earlier this week.
Garry Shewan, assistant chief constable of Greater Manchester Police (GMP), said: "The parent saw the picture of her son and was absolutely appalled, horrified and angry. What she did is extremely admirable and I thank her for handing him in to local officers as it must have been a hard thing to do. I would urge members of the community who were left angered by the events of Tuesday night and believe they know of those involved to contact police as soon as possible."
Police in Manchester have now made 176 arrests following the rioting in the city and in neighbouring Salford on Tuesday night. They made 37 arrests on Thursday, with some suspects held in raids after looters were identified from CCTV and other images taken during the trouble.
Merseyside Police have made around 50 arrests to date and released more CCTV stills today of suspects they want to trace. They have set up a dedicated email address for anyone wanting to share information about those involved or to submit their own images or footage of the disorder.
Meanwhile, an 11-year-old girl has been told off by police after being involved in a Facebook plot to encourage people to riot.
Devon and Cornwall Police said its officers visited the girl's home and spoke to her regarding a page on the social networking site which called people on to the streets of Plymouth during disturbances which took place in other parts of the country.
A force spokesman confirmed the girl was "given words of advice concerning entries on to social networking sites".
He said: "The force is also continuing to monitor social media sites and take action where appropriate to deal with potential to create disorder.