MP 'hurt' as assault case dropped
Conservative MP Andrew Bridgen has told of his "hurt and anger" over being falsely accused of sexual assault, after police confirmed he will not face charges.
The North West Leicestershire MP said he would now be taking legal advice about possible action "against those responsible for making and publicising these falsehoods".
Mr Bridgen, 46, was arrested in the early hours of Thursday morning last week after a 29-year-old woman made a complaint to police about the alleged assault at his Westminster flat.
He vigorously denied any wrong-doing and was released on bail to return in mid-July. Police have now told him the case is being dropped, with no further action to be taken.
Mr Bridgen said he understands that the woman has told police in an interview that no assault had taken place. He welcomed the police decision to take no action.
"From the outset, I said that the allegation was without foundation, demonstrably and provably false, and I was wholly confident that the outcome of the police investigation would see me exonerated," he said.
"Naturally, I remain hurt and angry that such a ludicrous, false and unsubstantiated allegation should have been given the attention it has. The allegation was unfair and hurtful not just to myself but to my wife and children, who bore the brunt of huge and unwarranted media intrusion.
"It was also worrying to my friends, and disruptive to the work of my constituency. I will now be taking further legal advice about possible action against those responsible for making and publicising these falsehoods.
"Finally I would like to take this opportunity to thank the great number of people who have sent me messages of support during these past few difficult and testing days. Particularly political colleagues from all political parties: your friendship and support have meant a great deal to me.
"The biggest debt of gratitude, however, is to my family for their love, unwavering support and steadfast belief in my innocence."