Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Natalie McGarry MP charged over fraud allegations

Published 27/09/2016

Natalie McGarry MP has been charged amid a fraud probe
Natalie McGarry MP has been charged amid a fraud probe

MP Natalie McGarry has been charged in connection with fraud allegations after being interviewed by police.

The MP, who represents the Glasgow East constituency, voluntarily attended a police station in the city on Tuesday morning.

It is understood the alleged offences are linked to her involvement with the group Women For Independence, which was set up in the run-up to the 2014 Scottish referendum, and with the SNP's Glasgow Regional Association.

The amount of money allegedly involved is a five-figure sum, according to sources.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: " On Tuesday September 27, a 35-year-old woman was charged in connection with alleged fraud offences.

"A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal."

Lawyer Aamer Anwar, who represents the MP, said: "I can confirm that Natalie McGarry MP attended voluntarily with myself as her solicitor this morning at Govan police station.

"Following an interview, she was charged this afternoon with several alleged offences including embezzlement of funds, breach of trust and an offence under the Scottish Independence Referendum Act 2013.

"She was released and will now be the subject of a report to the procurator fiscal. There will be no further comment."

Ms McGarry was elected as the SNP MP for Glasgow East in May 2015, when Nicola Sturgeon's party won all but three of the 59 Scottish seats at Westminster.

In November she withdrew from the party whip as police continued to investigate concerns over missing donations from the prominent pro-independence group she helped set up.

As a result she was automatically suspended from the party, and currently sits as an independent MP in the House of Commons.

Women For Independence said on Twitter: "We will be making no public comment on today's news."

Ms McGarry has previously insisted there has been "no wrongdoing" on her part.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph