Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Neighbours' shock as two people found dead after bust-up at home

Published 30/03/2016

Police were called to the property after an altercation, and a man was taken into custody
Police were called to the property after an altercation, and a man was taken into custody

Neighbours have spoken of their shock after two people were found dead following a bust-up at a property.

Two others were found injured at the home in Dickens Avenue, Canterbury, Kent, just after 7.30pm on Tuesday.

A man was arrested at the scene as detectives from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate tried to piece together the background to the deaths.

A Kent Police spokeswoman said they believe the victims and the man arrested were known to each other.

One neighbour, who declined to be named, believed the property housed people who had been placed there by the authorities.

She said: "It's been like that for years. There have been some nice people living there who have been polite.

"Something like this happening round here is very unusual. I'm 49 and have been here since three months old, and it's been fine.

"I just saw flashing lights last night. My partner told me there was a tent in the garden where presumably they are doing forensics."

Charlotte Bunn, 83, who lives opposite, said: "I think the people who stay there live there for maybe one or two years then move on.

"I only knew the people who lived there to say hello to when out in the garden or walking in the street. They seem alright. I can't find any fault."

Ms Bunn, who has lived in the area for more than 50 years, added: "It's a quiet area. All the time I have lived here I have only had trouble once."

Police are yet to identify the dead people and are in the process of informing the next of kin.

Police said the suspect held on suspicion of murder is a 53-year-old man.

Inquiries are continuing to trace the next of kin of those involved in the fatal incident.

Meanwhile, forensic officers in white suits were going in and out of the semi-detached house as two officers stood guard outside.

A white tent had been erected by the front entrance to the two-storey property, which last sold for £146,000 in 2004, according to Zoopla.

One of the victims who died was a 40-year-old woman from Canterbury.

The two who sustained injuries were males aged 17 and 20. The 17-year-old is in a critical condition and the man of 20 has been discharged from hospital.

Post-mortem examinations are expected to take place on Thursday as police seek to reassure the local community following the deaths.

Detective Chief Inspector Nick Gossett, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: "We understand that this incident will be of concern to residents.

"However, I would like to stress that we believe all individuals involved knew each other. Officers have been working at the scene in an effort to gather forensic evidence and our inquiries are ongoing."

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph