Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

News Of The World reporter rearrested in hacking inquiry

Former News Of The World chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck has been rearrested by detectives investigating phone hacking.

Thurlbeck was one of the first suspects questioned by Operation Weeting detectives last April.

Detectives detained him a day after former Sun editor Rebekah Brooks, her husband Charlie, and four other suspects were arrested over allegations of cover-ups.

Mr Thurlbeck was being questioned last night on suspicion of witness intimidation and encouraging or assisting an offence.

Thurlbeck was previously arrested on April 5 on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications and unlawful interception of voicemail messages.

Meanwhile, former News International executive chairman James Murdoch told MPs in a letter released yesterday that he accepted his share of the blame for not uncovering phone hacking at the News Of The World sooner.

But he denied he had misled Parliament over the scandal.

He said in the letter to the House of Commons’ Culture, Media and Sport Committee: “I did not know about, nor did I try to hide, wrongdoing.

“While I accept my share of responsibility for not uncovering wrongdoing sooner, I did not mislead Parliament and the evidence does not support any other conclusion.”

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph