Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

'Nitrogen shot' girl tells of her torment

Published 13/06/2015

A woman is suffering
A woman is suffering "episodes of agonising pain" more than two-and-a-half years after she drank a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen, her lawyer said

A woman is suffering "episodes of agonising pain" more than two-and-a-half years after she drank a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen, her lawyer said.

Gaby Scanlon, from Heysham, Lancashire, was celebrating a "low-key" 18th birthday with friends at Oscar's Wine Bar and Bistro in Lancaster in October 2012 when she drank the shot Nitro-Jagermeister.

Miss Scanlon, now aged 20, said her stomach began to expand and she was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary where a CT scan found a large perforation.

She spent three weeks in hospital as doctors removed her stomach and connected her oesophagus directly to her small bowel.

Yesterday, Oscar's Wine Bar Limited pleaded guilty at Preston Crown Court to one count of failing in the duty of an employer to ensure the safety of persons not in its employment.

In its plea the company, registered in Swinton, South Yorkshire, admitted it failed to ensure the shot cocktail was safe for customers to consume. Oscar's Wine Bar will be sentenced on September 17.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph