No charges against Rooney's father
Wayne Rooney's father will face no further action over allegations of a football betting scam.
Wayne Rooney Snr was arrested at his home in West Derby, Liverpool, last October.
Eight other people, including Liverpool-born Motherwell midfielder Steve Jennings, 26, were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud.
Merseyside Police said at the time the arrests were the culmination of a joint operation with the Gambling Commission into "suspicious betting activity".
Anthony Barnfather, solicitor for Mr Rooney Snr, confirmed that the police had told him no further action will be brought against his client.
Mr Barnfather said: "Mr Rooney Snr has always vigorously denied the allegations and maintained his innocence throughout the investigation. He is delighted the matter has now concluded."
Also held in the operation were the Manchester United star's uncle Richie, 54, detained at his home in Norris Green, Liverpool, and a further six Liverpool men aged 22, 26, 29, 31, 36 and 68. All the men were bailed pending further inquiries until this week when they are due to attend police stations to be informed whether charges will be brought.
At the time of the arrests, on October 6, Merseyside Police said the investigation related to a match between Motherwell and Hearts on December 14 2010. The Gambling Commission said it began the probe shortly afterwards when some members of the Association of British Bookmakers publicly raised concerns about betting patterns on the game.
During the game Jennings was shown a red card in the 83rd minute of his side's 2-1 defeat. The midfielder had been booked earlier in the match for fouling Kevin Kyle as Hearts launched a dangerous break. Jennings, originally from Kirkby, near Liverpool, has been a key player for Motherwell since joining from Tranmere Rovers in the summer of 2009 and signed his third one-year contract at Fir Park in July last year. The club is third in the Scottish Premier League.
Merseyside Police said that so far, only the 22-year-old had been informed that no further action would be taken against him. The other men, including Mr Rooney Snr, are expected to answer bail as planned later this week when they will be formally told of the outcome of the investigation, a spokeswoman said.