Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

One Direction 'to break up in March'

Published 23/08/2015

One Direction are set to split up in March, The Sun newspaper has reported
One Direction are set to split up in March, The Sun newspaper has reported

One Direction are set to break up in March, according to a report in The Sun.

The boy band and teen idol sensations - featuring Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson and Niall Horan - are set to part company for a year because they want to focus on solo projects.

A 1D source told The Sun: "The guys have been together for five years, which is an incredible run for any boyband.

"They fully deserve to have at least a year to work on their own projects. There is absolutely no bad blood between them and they are all 100 per cent behind the decision.

"It is definitely not a split and they fully intend to get back together at some time in the future."

There is not to be a tour for the band's fifth album and the shock news could mean their last full concert will be at Sheffield's Motorpoint Arena on October 31.

Millions of fans may still get the chance to see their heartthrobs as a string of TV spots and performances which are already pencilled in before the end of the year are still likely to go ahead, it was claimed.

The boys are to have a break over the festive period before getting back together to complete their promotional commitments for their record label in February, according to The Sun.

The plan had been on the cards "with or without Zayn" Malik, who left the group in March, according to an unnamed source who spoke to the tabloid.

The source claimed: "Of course they would have preferred that he had stayed in the band, but they would have taken this extended hiatus even if he hadn't left."

It is believed the break and the decision not to tour was rubber-stamped in a meeting in London last weekend.

It means they could each take their money-spinning careers on very different journeys in talks that could get under way within weeks.

There is "a lot of interest" in Styles from Hollywood, Tomlinson is "very much in contention to be a judge on X Factor" next year and all of them are now faced with "a massive amount of options", according to the source.

It seems that Payne may want to fine-tune his songwriting, producing and DJ skills rather than a solo career, according to the report.

In March the band spoke out to quash rumours they were set to split up in the wake of Malik's departure.

The band vowed to continue as a four-piece after Malik's shock departure, which he said was so he could live like a "normal" 22-year-old.

A flood of reports then suggested the group were on the verge of breaking up but Payne thanked their devoted fans who are known as "directionsers" for sticking with the band and "not thinking it's finished".

He tweeted: "I can see a lot of people thanking us for staying but you're the real Heros (sic) here thanks for not thinking it's finished."

Bradford-born Malik quit after having been "signed off with stress". It came amid reports he had cheated on his then-fiance and Little Mix singer Perrie Edwards. The couple have since split up.

Malik is believed to be working on a solo album with acclaimed music producer Naughty Boy, who has worked with a string of hit-makers including Emeli Sande, Cheryl Cole and Leona Lewis.

The four-piece are said to be worth around £25 million each after topping the charts worldwide since emerging in the 2010 series of X Factor.

A spokesman for the band said: "We don't comment on speculation."

Rapper Professor Green was one of the first to react to the news, tweeting: " 1d are splitting up?! I thought they were on some kind of space odyssey?

"So there wasn't only one direction after all

"One direction go their separate ways - is this a paradox? Forgive me I left school in year 8."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph