Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Our hope of finding Madeleine alive

Madeleine McCann's parents have said they have "no doubt" that the Portuguese authorities will eventually re-open their investigation into her disappearance.

In a series of interviews to mark the fifth anniversary of her disappearance, Kate and Gerry McCann also said their seven-year-old twins Sean and Amelie have pledged to join the search for their big sister when they are older.

Madeleine was nearly four when she vanished from her family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz in the Algarve on May 3 2007 as her parents dined at a tapas restaurant with friends nearby.

On Wednesday the couple spoke of their renewed hope that she will be found alive and said they have received a major boost from Scotland Yard's review of the case.

Mr McCann, 43, said: "I'm certainly more confident now than at any point for the last four-and-a-half years that we actually will find Madeleine and who is responsible. I think the most important thing is that a lot of the investigation opportunities are in Portugal. I think it's fairly clear that the case will have to be re-opened for those to be pursued adequately."

The officer leading Scotland Yard's review of the original investigation into Madeleine's disappearance spoke last week of his belief that the mystery can still be solved and said there is evidence she may still be alive.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood said the Metropolitan Police would like the case to be re-opened, but stressed that the decision was one for Portugal. But Portuguese police responded by saying they had found "no new element" to justify re-launching their inquiry.

Referring to the Portuguese authorities' apparent reluctance to resume their investigation, Mr McCann said: "The only way everyone will be able to move on is for the case to be solved, and that is for Madeleine to be found and the perpetrators brought to justice. Then everyone can move on. Until then, it's not going to go away. It can't go away."

The official Portuguese investigation into the case was formally shelved in July 2008, although private detectives employed by the McCanns continued the search. Scotland Yard's review of the case, called Operation Grange, was launched last May after a request from Home Secretary Theresa May supported by Prime Minister David Cameron. The Met team has already sifted through 40,000 pieces of information and identified 195 potential leads.

The couple, from Rothley, Leicestershire, said Sean and Amelie are aware of the sad anniversary but are "absolutely fine" despite the disappearance of their older sister when they were two.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph