Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Parents are allowed to fly Ashya King to Prague for treatment

By Brian Farmer

The parents of a sick five-year-old boy who hit the headlines after taking the youngster from a hospital without doctors' permission have been given the go-ahead to take their son to the Czech Republic for treatment.

A High Court judge said Brett and Naghmeh King could take son Ashya – who has a brain tumour – to a clinic in Prague to receive treatment not currently available in England.

Mr Justice Baker approved a treatment plan after telephone discussions with lawyers representing Mr and Mrs King and a hospital in Southampton, Hampshire, where Ashya was a patient.

An order made by the judge was released by High Court officials after discussions were held over several hours.

The officials said the judge would give further details at a hearing in the Family Division of the High Court on Monday.

Mr and Mrs King travelled to Spain after leaving Southampton General Hospital last week.

The couple were arrested and held in custody after British police raised the alarm. They were released when prosecutors withdrew a warrant in the wake of a public outcry.

Portsmouth City Council, which has responsibilities for Ashya's welfare, launched family court litigation asking for directions about the boy's treatment.

Mr Justice Baker began analysing issues surrounding Ashya's treatment at a hearing in the Family Division of the High Court on Tuesday.

The judge was told on Tuesday that Mr and Mrs King wanted their son to receive proton beam radiotherapy. A lawyer representing bosses at Southampton General Hospital said doctors aimed to provide chemotherapy but not proton beam. Vikram Sachdeva added such treatment could not be provided in Britain.

Mr Justice Baker said in his order that Ashya – who is currently in hospital in Malaga, Spain – could be taken to the University Hospital Motol in the Czech Republic.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph