Police name e-cigarette death man
A man who died after his e-cigarette exploded and set fire to oxygen equipment he is believed to have been using has been named by police.
David Thomson, 62, was found dead in the living room of a property on Penkett Road in Wallasey, Merseyside.
Investigators from Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) found that an e-cigarette that had been charging in Mr Thomson's bedroom exploded, caught fire and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by him.
There was a small amount of smoke damage to the property, though the small fire in the bedroom had been extinguished by the time firefighters arrived.
The exact cause of Mr Thomson's death has not yet been established.
It is the ninth fire involving e-cigarettes on Merseyside alone since the turn of the year, MFRS said. It has launched a campaign to give help and advice on smoke alarms and the use of the devices and their chargers.
Area manager Myles Platt from MFRS, said: "The investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but at this stage it is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the e-cigarette.
"We urge people to always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged and do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes.
"Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source.
"We understand the impact tragic incidents such as these can have on families and the wider community. Firefighters will be carrying out community reassurance visits and highlighting home fire safety in the area."
The Government's Chief Fire & Rescue Adviser Peter Holland said fire deaths have fallen in recent years, with a 40% drop since 2003-2004, but he said people must still follow safety advice.
" You should not leave e-cigarettes charging for long periods, overnight or while you are out of the house, and only use chargers with the 'CE' safety mark.
"Every home should have at least one working smoke alarm on every floor, and these should be tested regularly."
A spokesman for Merseyside Police said Mr Thomson's death is not being treated as suspicions and the matter has been referred to the coroner.