Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Pool party gun victim named by police

Published 27/07/2016

Police at the scene in Headley after a man was shot dead
Police at the scene in Headley after a man was shot dead

A man shot dead at a reggae pool party has been named as Ricardo Hunter.

The 34-year-old from Coulsdon in Surrey died during the private party in Headley during the early hours of Monday, Surrey Police said.

Earlier this week, Summerlyn Farquharson, an organiser of the party who goes by the name The Female Boss Krissy, denied the event was a ''sex party'' and said she did not know the victim.

A post-mortem examination showed the cause of Mr Hunter's death was a single gunshot wound.

Detectives are continuing to appeal for information about the attack at a mansion with a swimming pool in which a 36-year-old woman also suffered a gunshot wound to her leg.

Police said a 38-year-old man from London who was arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder in connection with the incident remains in custody.

A 30-year-old woman from London who was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender in connection with the incident has been released on conditional bail until September.

Officers from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team launched a murder investigation and are carrying out enquiries to establish the circumstances surrounding the death.

Forensic teams are still carrying out a detailed examination of the address and police said this is expected to continue for a number of days.

Detective Chief Inspector Paul Rymarz, from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said: "This was a shocking incident where a man lost his life and we are determined to bring those responsible to justice.

"Following the incident we quickly launched a large-scale police investigation to speak to anyone who was at the private pool party and gather all relevant information to establish what happened.

"We know there were several hundred people at the pool party in Church Lane on the evening of Sunday, 24 July into the early hours of Monday, 25 July and although we have already spoken to a number of witnesses we intend to speak to everyone who was at the party.

"I would therefore ask anyone who was at the event and may have seen what happened or with any footage or information who has not spoken to police to come forward as a matter of urgency.

"I would like to assure people that we will treat any reports or information provided in the strictest confidence.

"This incident has understandably sent shockwaves through the Headley community and we are working with our Safer Neighbourhood Team colleagues to update and reassure residents.

"I would like to thank residents for their patience while our investigation continues and stress that we do not believe there is any ongoing risk to Headley residents."

Neighbours described hundreds of people gathering for the party, which had been advertised on social media, and complained of loud music going on into the early hours of Monday when the shooting happened.

Broken glass and rubbish were left strewn around the property the following morning.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph