Prescott accused of phone hack rant
Lord Prescott has been accused of "ranting" and wasting public money after he said he would seek a judicial review into the News of the World phone-hacking row.
The Scotland Yard officer who oversaw the investigation into the affair launched a scathing attack on the former deputy prime minister, branding him "nothing special".
The peer announced on Friday morning that he will ask the courts to examine the Metropolitan Police's handling of the case after the force refused to provide all the information it held relating to him.
Shadow foreign office minister Chris Bryant, ex-Met deputy assistant commissioner Brian Paddick and journalist Brendan Montague have also issued judicial review proceedings.
In a statement on his website, Lord Prescott said: "It has always been my intention to discover the truth behind this case and whether the Metropolitan Police fulfilled its duty to follow all the lines of evidence. It is my belief they didn't and I hope the judicial review will finally reveal why justice not only wasn't done but wasn't seen to be done."
Lord Prescott said he is asking the courts to declare that his human rights had been breached, and order the Met to disclose fully any information relating to his personal details. The peer is also seeking damages, which he said would be given to charity.
But speaking on Nick Ferrari's radio show on LBC 97.3 on Friday, former Met assistant commissioner Andy Hayman, who oversaw the original phone-hacking investigation, dismissed the chances of a judicial review finding anything new.
"We have to get real over this. This is just another episode of Lord Prescott's rants," he said.
"You know, he's nothing special, he was on a list, along with lots of other celebrities and well-known people, held by a journalist - and that's no different to a contact list that's being held by any other journalist, come to that.
"Now if - and it's been reviewed - if I have proved to be wrong, then I'll eat my words and face the music. But my understanding is, there is absolutely no evidence from that initial investigation of his phone being hacked, so why he thinks he is anything special, I do not know."