Protesters occupy city building
Occupy London protesters have taken over an eight-storey office building in the City despite warnings it is unsafe.
The economic justice campaigners entered Roman House in the Barbican at about 3.30am on Saturday, the fifth occupation they have carried out to date.
They vowed to remain at the abandoned block until the City of London Corporation publishes full details of its City cash accounts. But Berkeley Homes, which owns the building, described the occupation as "potentially dangerous".
A spokesman said: "We urge the protesters to vacate this building site as quickly as possible as we are very concerned that they are putting both themselves and members of the public in real danger.
"It is not safe for public use, there are holes in the floors and we are in the early stages of asbestos removal.
"The protesters are misguided in their actions, which are sadly preventing Berkeley Homes from implementing their planning permission and so providing not only 90 much-needed new homes, but also a significant number of key construction jobs during an economic crisis.
"We hope the protesters will therefore voluntarily leave the building shortly, given that it has no link whatsoever to their objectives. In the meantime we are taking legal advice, particularly given the safety concerns, to ensure this potentially dangerous occupation ends quickly."
Announcing its latest occupation, the campaign group said the building had previously housed financial service companies.
The protesters are calling for the Corporation to "become a more transparent public body like every other public body in the country".
Supporter Bryn Phillips, 28, said: "The Corporation has undermined our democracy through the power of its lobbyists and must submit to public scrutiny. If the City agrees to publish its City cash accounts, future and historic, we will leave the building immediately. If does not, we will take appropriate action until such time as it does."