Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Rebecca Rigby says 'justice has been done' after Lee's killers lose court appeal

By Amanda Ferguson

Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale, the men found guilty of killing soldier Lee Rigby in London last year, have lost a legal challenge to their sentences.

Adebolajo's attempts to have his conviction overturned and the whole-life sentence reduced were rejected by three judges at the Court of Appeal today.

Michael Adebowale, who was arguing for a reduction in his minimum sentence of 45 years, also had his appeal rejected.

The men drove into the 25-year-old soldier outside Woolwich barracks in south-east London on May 22, 2013 and then hacked him to death.

An emotional Rebecca Rigby, who was estranged from the soldier at the time of his death, joined his family in court and later read a prepared statement outside.


"I would like to thank everyone who made today's verdict possible," she said.

"We are relieved that this is over and justice has been done.

"I would like to thank everyone for their continued support over the last 18 months and hope I can now build a future for my son Jack and ensure that (Lee's) memory lives on."

Last month, a report concluded Fusilier Rigby's death could not have been prevented despite his killers appearing in a series of intelligence investigations.

The report, by the Intelligence and Security Committee (ISC), found Adebowale had written on Facebook about murdering a solider five months before the attack.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph