Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

'Rent boy' storm: MP Mark Menzies' career in jeopardy

BY NIGEL MORRIS

The political future of a Conservative MP who resigned as a ministerial aide over his links to a Brazilian male escort was in doubt last night after local party officials declined to give him full backing.

Mark Menzies, MP for Fylde in Lancashire, quit as a parliamentary private secretary (PPS) following claims that he paid the teenager for sex and asked him for drugs.

A senior figure in his local constituency association, Brenda Ackers, did not rule out Mr Menzies having to step down as the MP.

Councillor Ackers, the chairwoman of Fylde Conservatives until last week, said it depended "very much on the extent of the allegations" and pointed to the "criminal element" among the claims.

Asked how local members would react to the allegations, she said: "They will have their own view when he explains the full extent of them."

Cllr Ackers said she, "can't possibly predict" how local voters would view the allegations.

Mr Menzies (42) said: "I have decided to resign as a PPS after a series of allegations were made against me in a Sunday newspaper.

"A number of these allegations are not true and I look forward to setting the record straight in due course."

Mr Menzies was elected in 2010 and was swiftly promoted to be a ministerial aide, serving former energy minister Charles Hendry and former housing minister Mark Prisk before his role with Mr Duncan.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph