Residents return to flats in Selby after alert over substances
The discovery was made during a property search following the arrest of a 60-year-old man on suspicion of racial or religious aggravated harassment.
Residents evacuated from their flats after police discovered suspected hazardous material have been allowed home after the substances concerned were found to be safe.
North Yorkshire Police said a 100-metre (328ft) cordon had been put around a property in Selby on Saturday morning as emergency services examined the scene.
The decision was made when property was searched at Cockret Court, on Cockret Road, after a 60-year-old man was arrested on Friday afternoon on suspicion of racial or religious aggravated harassment and criminal damage.
But a spokesman said on Saturday: “In a multi-agency investigation, the suspected hazardous materials found at a property were later deemed to be safe and residents have been allowed to return to their homes.”
He said the arrested man remains in custody.