Review into Ashya hospital case
A review of the role local authorities played in the Ashya King disappearance case has been announced.
Portsmouth Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) said it would be examining "all the actions involved" in the case, which saw the five-year-old brain tumour patient whisked away from Southampton General Hospital by parents Brett and Naghmeh King, after they disagreed with medical advice.
The couple were held by police in Spain on a European Arrest Warrant but were freed from Soto del Real prison on Tuesday night after British authorities abandoned their attempts to extradite them, amid a public backlash.
They have since been reunited with their son, who is being treated at the Materno-Infantil hospital in Malaga.
In a statement tonight, the LSCB said: "The review will look at all the actions involved and the findings will be made public.
"No further information will be released until the review has concluded."
Southampton hospital staff and the police have faced heavy criticism at the way Ashya's disappearance was handled, with Mr King saying he and his wife had been "treated like terrorists".
He claimed he had previously informed the hospital about his plans to seek proton beam therapy for his son - which he said was not available to him on the NHS - but kept the date that he intended to take him secret, for fear he would be stopped.
Politicians, led by Prime Minister David Cameron, have also questioned the way the matter was dealt with, saying earlier this week that it appeared that "common sense" had now prevailed, with Ashya's reunion with his parents.
Portsmouth City Council, which has responsibilities for Ashya's welfare, began family court litigation last week - asking for directions about the youngster's treatment.
A full hearing is due to take place at the High Court on Monday.