Roads closed near Marble Arch as firefighters tackle blaze
Firefighters tackled a blaze that damaged part of a restaurant on Connaught Street, in central London.
Firefighters have tackled a blaze along one of London’s busiest roads, close to tourist attraction Marble Arch.
A restaurant on Connaught Street, and a six-floor building made up of flats and a shop on Edgware Road, were affected by the fire which did not result in any injuries, but closed roads.
London Fire Brigade was called just after 10.20am to the blaze, which damaged the restaurant’s ducting – part of its extraction system.
Six fire engines and around 35 firefighters were sent to deal with the fire, which was causing huge plumes of smoke seen in videos posted on social media.
A cordon was temporarily set up, but roads are expected to be reopened soon – and until then, motorists are advised to avoid the area.
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “Restaurant and take-away owners should always take care to make sure their extraction systems are kept clean as a build-up of fat and grease within the filters can lead to a fire.”
The fire took place about a five-minute walk from Marble Arch and Oxford Street.