Rolf Harris in Savile police probe
Rolf Harris has been named as the veteran entertainer who was arrested by police investigating allegations of sexual abuse following the Jimmy Savile scandal.
Harris, 83, was originally interviewed by detectives from Scotland Yard's Operation Yewtree in November and was then arrested over the allegations on March 28.
Until now, the TV personality, who performed for the Queen at her Diamond Jubilee concert last year, had only been named online. However, the Sun have named him and other news outlets followed.
Harris, an enduring family favourite who was made a CBE in the 2006 Queen's birthday honours, is one of 12 people arrested under Operation Yewtree, the national investigation prompted by allegations against Savile.
He was interviewed under caution on November 29 last year, five days after a search warrant was executed at his home in Berkshire.
The Australian-born entertainer was also appointed Officer of the Order of Australia in the Queen's Birthday Honours list last year. He was recognised for his service to the performing and visual arts, to charitable organisations and to international relations through the promotion of Australian culture.
His hits include Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport, Two Little Boys and Stairway to Heaven, and he also painted an official portrait of the Queen for her 80th birthday.
After his arrest in March, just days before his 83rd birthday, a Scotland Yard spokesman said: "An 82-year-old man from Berkshire was arrested by officers on Operation Yewtree on suspicion of sexual offences. He has been bailed to a date in May pending further inquiries. The individual falls under the strand of the investigation we have termed 'others'."
Reporters who rang the buzzer at Harris's home in Bray, Berkshire, were told "no comment" by a man who answered.
A short time later, a woman visitor who rang the buzzer and said "Hi Rolf" was allowed into the property.