Sam Allardyce's brief tenure as England manager ended in embarrassment and recrimination after just one game in charge.
His contract was terminated by mutual agreement with the Football Association as chairman Greg Clarke and chief executive Martin Glenn confirmed there was no way back from his appearance in a Daily Telegraph investigation into corruption.
Allardyce had been in what he gleefully described as his "dream" job for just 67 days, meaning his reign was the shortest of any full-time England manager.
The Telegraph, as part of a wide-ranging operation targeted the newly appointed national manager, covertly filmed him making a variety of indiscreet and controversial comments to undercover reporters posing as businessmen.
Some were merely disparaging or offensive - such as those aimed at predecessor Roy Hodgson, who was demeaningly referred to as "Woy" in a reference to his speech impediment, while others were taken more seriously by the FA.
The willingness of Allardyce and his adviser Mark Curtis to negotiate a £400,000 pay day to act as a keynote speaker for firms in the Far East was not viewed kindly by employers, who already paid him £3m a year despite his belated caveat he would need to run any deal "past the powers that be".
And his thoughts on third-party ownership were arguably even more damaging, as he discussed the apparent circumvention of a practice that was banned by the FA in 2008.
The former Sunderland, West Ham and Bolton manager, whose England side beat Slovakia 1-0 earlier this month, gave a "sincere and wholehearted apology" for his part in the messy divorce. "Further to recent events, the FA and I have mutually agreed to part company," Allardyce said.
"It was a great honour for me to be appointed back in July and I am deeply disappointed at this outcome.
"This afternoon, I met with Greg Clarke and Martin Glenn and offered a sincere and wholehearted apology for my actions.
"Although it was made clear during the recorded conversations that any proposed arrangements would need the FA's full approval, I recognise I made some comments which have caused embarrassment.
"As part of today's meeting, I was asked to clarify what I said and the context in which the conversations took place. I have co-operated fully in this regard. I also regret my comments with regard to other individuals."
England Under-21 manager Gareth Southgate will take charge of the senior side's next four games - the first of which is at home to Malta on October 8 - with a squad announcement due on Sunday.
The status of Allardyce-appointed coaches Sammy Lee, Craig Shakespeare and Martyn Margetson has yet to be revealed, indicating they could assist Southgate, who could be considered for a permanent contract alongside the likes of Alan Pardew, Eddie Howe and Jurgen Klinsmann.
Hodgson's assistant Gary Neville, who was also mentioned in less-than-flattering terms on the tapes, looks to have shelved his coaching career for the time being.