'Saw from cupboard' used in amputation
A health board is investigating claims that surgeons used a saw found in a cupboard to amputate a man's leg.
The incident at Ayr Hospital started when a metal plate was unexpectedly discovered in the man's leg during the operation.
It was reported that staff could not find the equipment to remove the plate, so a member of the surgical team was sent to B&Q to buy a saw - but it shop was closed.
A saw was said to have been found in a stock cupboard at the Ayrshire hospital and disinfected before being used. Concerns were later raised with senior management at the hospital and an investigation is being held.
Scottish Conservative health spokesman Jackson Carlaw was shocked. He said: "This is an indescribable way to treat any patient.
"Despite the UK's advancement in modern medicine ,this episode has all the finesse of improvised surgery on Nelson's flagship during Trafalgar."
Ann Gow, interim nurse director at the health board, said: "NHS Ayrshire and Arran is conducting a significant adverse event review."