Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Scores reported dead in lorry attack on Bastille Day crowd

Published 14/07/2016

Latest news
Latest news

As many as 60 people are reported dead after a lorry attack on a Bastille Day celebration in Nice.

Chaos erupted on the streets of the Mediterranean city on Thursday night as crowds gathered to celebrate the French national day.

The president of Nice regional council said "tens of people" had been killed and Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet told BFM TV there would be several dozen fatalities.

"It's going to be a very high toll," Mr Brandet said.

Mr Brandet said no hostages had been taken and the driver of the truck had been "neutralised", adding that authorities were investigating if he acted alone.

Pictures and footage shown on social media showed crowds fleeing in terror from the scene on the Promenade des Anglais, which was busy with revellers celebrating and watching fireworks.

Eyewitnesses reported hearing gunshots and pictures on social media showed armed police with weapons trained on a badly damaged white truck with what appeared to be bullet holes in the windscreen.

French TV channel BFM said the death toll had reached 60 and that President Francois Hollande was returning to Paris from the city of Avignon to hold a crisis meeting at the Interior Ministry.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph