Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Sea search called off as boys reported safe

Published 06/09/2016

The coastguard said it is conducting an
The coastguard said it is conducting an "extensive and thorough" search of the area in case the boys got into difficulty in the water

A huge search operation off the south-east coast of England for two young boys seen playing in the water has been called off.

The coastguard mounted an "extensive and thorough" search at the Isle of Grain, off the Thames Estuary, but stood down after a parent got in touch to say a group of boys seen there earlier were safe.

Medway rescue team searched the shoreline for more than four hours on Monday evening while the Sheerness RNLI inshore lifeboat checked out the coastal area, before standing down at midnight.

The coastguard had appealed to parents of children who had been in the area near Allhallows Caravan Holiday Park to get in touch to rule their children out of the search.

A spokeswoman for the coastguard said a parent had contacted them to say a group of boys seen in the area were all accounted for.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph