Second man charged in terror probe
A 24-year-old man has been charged in connection with an investigation into alleged terrorist activity in Syria.
Jubayer Chowdhury was arrested by officers from the Metropolitan Police's Counter Terrorism Command at Heathrow Airport on Monday morning after arriving on a flight from Bahrain.
He is the second person to be charged with keeping British photographer John Cantlie and Dutch journalist Jeroen Oerlemans captive and will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Friday morning, said police.
The police spokesman said: "Officers from Metropolitan Police's Counter Terrorism Command have tonight, 15 November, charged a second man in connection with an investigation into travel to Syria in support of alleged terrorist activity.
"Jubayer Chowdhury, 24, together with Shajul Islam and others, within the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court, between 17 July 2012 and 26 July 2012, unlawfully and injuriously imprisoned John Cantlie and Jeroen Oerlemans against their will, contrary to common law and Section 63B of the Terrorism Act 2000."
The arrest formed part of an investigation into travel to Syria in support of alleged terrorist activity.
Islam, 26, is already facing trial over allegations that he was involved in the plot.
The trainee NHS doctor, who studied at St Bartholomew's and a University of London Hospital, is accused of being part of an extremist group which held Mr Cantlie, who worked for various newspapers including the Sunday Times, and Mr Oerlemans for around a week in the war-torn state.
Islam, from Stratford, east London, was arrested at Heathrow Airport last month as he arrived back in the UK with his wife and one-year-old daughter on a flight from Egypt. He is accused of being a doctor for the jihadi group which kidnapped the journalists and held them at a camp in Syria.
Islam is in custody pending an appearance at the Old Bailey on April 12 for a plea and case management hearing, and a six-week trial is set to begin on June 5.