Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Second man shot dead in apparent gangland feud

Published 08/02/2016

The attack was at the Regency Hotel in Dublin
The attack was at the Regency Hotel in Dublin

A second man has been shot dead in Dublin in an apparent gangland feud which is suspected to involve drugs gangs in Ireland and Spain.

The man in his 50s was gunned down on Poplar Row, North Strand in the north inner city just three days after David Byrne, 33, from Crumlin on the southside of the Irish capital, was murdered at a weigh-in for a boxing match in the Regency Hotel.

The latest victim was named locally as Eddie Hutch.

The first murder was claimed by a group purporting to be the Continuity IRA, a dissident republican splinter faction, but that drew scepticism from detectives immersed in gangland investigations.

In a statement the Garda press office said: "Gardai are aware of the recent statement to the media and are keeping an open mind in relation to the criminal groups involved as part of their investigations."

Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald appealed for any other gang members who fear for their lives to come forward and seek protection.

"Tonight's fatal shooting in Dublin is another deplorable example of the ruthlessness of gangland criminals. It seems that some gangs are intent on waging a feud where human life counts for nothing," she said.

"The gardai will take all necessary steps to try to prevent further bloodshed but we have to recognise the challenges they face. Members of gangs who have fears for their safety should come forward to the gardai."

Garda Commissioner Noirin O'Sullivan and senior investigators will hold talks with the minister over the escalating feud on Tuesday.

The Regency Hotel attack was carried out by a six strong gang - three of whom were armed with Kalashnikov assault rifles and dressed in Swat team uniforms and helmets.

Gunmen disguised as Gardai walk calmly into a Dublin hotel, then kill a man at boxing event in a hail of bullets [File photo]
Gunmen disguised as Gardai walk calmly into a Dublin hotel, then kill a man at boxing event in a hail of bullets [File photo]
A Garda cordon outside the Regency Hotel in Dublin after one man died and two others were injured following a shooting incident at the hotel
One of the victims is carried to an ambulance
Hooded gunmen in Garda-style uniform carried out a murderous raid
Forensic officers outside the Regency Hotel where hooded gunmen in Garda-style uniform carried out a murderous raid

Another armed with a handgun was dressed as a woman and had an auburn wig and a fifth wore a flat cap and tracksuit.

About 300 people were in the hotel in the build-up to a title fight billed Clash Of The Clans when the Byrne murder was carried out.

The bout was promoted by Frank Warren and MGM Promotions based in Marbella.

In the immediate aftermath Byrne's murder was linked to a feud between major organised crime outfits in Dublin and the south of Spain with speculation that it was retaliation for the murder of 34-year-old Gary Hutch at the Angel de Miraflores apartment complex on the Costa del Sol in September last year.

There were also reports that Daniel Kinahan, who manages some boxers in the MGM camp, was in the Regency at the time of the attack.

He is the son of Christy Kinahan who was arrested in a mansion in Spain in 2010 as part of an investigation into an international drugs and money laundering racket. Kinahan senior has not been charged.

Senior gardai initially ruled out terrorist involvement for the Regency attack.

The first claim of responsibility - attributed to dissident republicans and made with a code word to the BBC in Belfast - drew scepticism from seasoned commentators in Dublin while the top brass in the Garda said they were keeping an open mind and pointed to a "criminal" element.

In a second statement, issued to the Irish Daily Mirror hours later and again purportedly from the Continuity IRA, dissident republicans dismissed the first claim as bogus.

"The Continuity IRA wish to make it clear that we did not have any involvement in Friday's shooting at the Regency Hotel," it said.

"We have absolutely no involvement in criminal feuds. We see the false claim that the CIRA were involved in this act as another attempt to tarnish the name of the organisation."

Des Dalton, president of Republican Sinn Fein, said he had spoken to republican sources who had confirmed the second statement and rejected the claim of responsibility.

"I have been told that it was a bogus statement and an attempt to smear the Continuity IRA," he said.

The latest victim was murdered at a flat complex in a disadvantaged area of north Dublin.

He is understood to be the brother of Gerry Hutch, nicknamed The Monk, and an uncle of murdered Gary Hutch, believed to be the first victim in the bloody feud when he was gunned down almost five months ago.

It is believed a gang of at least four men were involved in the latest killing.

Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams urged community support to catch those responsible for the killings.

"Those behind this latest shooting, and those behind the dreadful attack last Friday at the Regency Hotel, must be apprehended and taken off our streets," he said.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph