'Seven Britons dead' in earthquake
The British death toll in the New Zealand earthquake is now feared to be at least seven, the Foreign Office said.
Authorities in Christchurch have formally identified three UK nationals killed in the disaster but another four may also have died.
Among those confirmed dead is chartered accountant Phil Coppeard, 41, from Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk, who moved to New Zealand in November with his wife, Suzanne Craig.
Mr Coppeard was travelling into town on a bus when the 6.3 magnitude earthquake struck on February 22 and has been missing since.
In a statement, Mr Coppeard's family said: "He was a very generous spirit, always keen to be involved in the community and charity events. His death is a tragedy at the start of an exciting new life in New Zealand."
The only other Briton named as having died in the earthquake is chef Gregory Tobin, 25, of Tadcaster, North Yorkshire.
He had been on a round-the-world trip and was believed to have been working temporarily at a garage in Christchurch when the devastation struck.
A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesman said: "Three British nationals have been formally identified as having died in the New Zealand earthquake. We understand that at least a further four British nationals may also have died.
"We are in contact with the police, who are working to identify them formally. Trying to establish this information for the families is our first priority."
The official death toll remains at 166, with police releasing the names of 13 more victims, including Mr Coppeard. Superintendent Sam Hoyle said 122 people were still listed as missing, but many of those would be among the dead.