Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Seventh man held over Birmingham trio’s murder

By Tom Peck

A seventh person has been arrested in connection with the murder of three Birmingham men who were hit by a car while trying to protect their community from looters.

West Midlands Police said a 30-year-old man from the city was arrested on suspicion of murder shortly after 10am yesterday.

The arrest follows a preliminary hearing at Birmingham Crown Court yesterday, in which two men and a teenage boy were charged with the murders.

Joshua Donald (26), Adam King (23) and a 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were remanded in custody to appear at the same court on December 9.

Three other males, aged 16, 27 and 32, have also been bailed pending further inquiries in relation to the murders of the three men.

Haroon Jahan (21), and brothers Shazad Ali (30) and Abdul Musavir (31), were both hit by a car in the early hours of last Wednesday.

A man has also appeared in court accused of starting the fire that destroyed a furniture shop in Croydon during the London riots.

Gordon Thompson (33) is charged with two counts of arson over the fire at House of Reeves Furniture Store on August 8. The blaze destroyed the family business, which had stood on the same corner for more than a century, as well as a row of other shops and flats.

Meanwhile, courts across the country continued to wade through the flood of cases brought about by last week's unrest.

The tough sentences handed out to young people over the past few days have caused criminal justice groups to question the wisdom of the tactics, pointing out that jailing opportunistic looters risks turning them into hardened criminals.

Juvenile defendants appearing in courts charged with offences relating to riots and looting will no longer have the right to anonymity after new guidance was issued to prosecutors.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) acted after the Home Secretary Theresa May said underage youths should be named wherever possible to convince the public that a tough approach was being taken to the disorder. Prosecutors were also told to ask the courts to lift reporting restrictions that usually apply to defendants under the age of 18 if they are convicted for offences that took place during the rioting and if it’s in the public interest to do so.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph