Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Shock for Spain crash man's family

The stepfather of the only Briton injured in Spain's worst train disaster for decades has spoken of his shock at seeing photos of him staggering away from the wreckage.

Mark Woodward, 38, originally from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, was treated in intensive care for a broken pelvis and ribs and has had his spleen removed, the BBC reported.

He was among 168 passengers injured in the derailment just outside the city of Santiago de Compostela on Wednesday night, which left 78 dead.

Robert Spencer said his stepson - who lives with his Spanish wife and daughter in Galicia, the region where the crash happened - remains in hospital.

He described how he was reading news reports of the event when he came across a photograph of his stepson at the scene flanked by two people, covered in blood with a ripped shirt.

"That was a shocking thing to see," he told the BBC. "Grateful that he was apparently walking OK and alive, but still a shock. There was blood all over them, a huge gash on his stomach and his head had been really bashed about."

Mr Woodward was injured when he was thrown forwards over the seat in front of him, hitting his head. Mr Spencer said his wife has flown over to Spain to be with her son and that he is "just glad" Mr Woodward's son was not travelling on the train.

The train's driver, 52-year-old Francisco Jose Garzon Amo, remains in custody on suspicion of reckless homicide, with police attributing blame for the disaster to him.

He has been discharged from hospital after receiving treatment for chest trauma and was taken to a police station, but refused to answer questions from police.

Police have confirmed the identities of all 78 people killed in the crash, according to reports.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph