Six held 'pose no credible threat'
The six men arrested by counter-terrorism police investigating a plot to attack the Pope posed no credible threat, according to reports.
The men, all believed to be of North African origin, were arrested on Friday in London and are being held under the Terrorism Act 2000.
Police searched eight homes in north and east London and two business premises in central London, including a street cleaning depot.
The Metropolitan Police said the searches of the premises had been completed and had not revealed any weapons or suspicious materials.
The BBC quoted Scotland Yard sources saying that the men posed no credible threat, while the Sunday Mirror said the men had simply been overheard sharing a joke in their canteen.
The six suspects are aged 26, 27, 29, 36, 40 and 50,
The 29-year old was arrested at a home in north London shortly before 2pm on Friday. The five other men, believed to be street cleaners, were arrested at gunpoint as armed officers swooped on their base as they prepared to start their shift shortly before 6am that day.
They work for Veolia Environmental Services, a contractor which employs 650 on-street staff to keep the streets of Westminster clean.
A huge security and public order operation swung into action as the Pope touched down in Britain.
Thousands of officers are involved in the operation from forces including the Met, Strathclyde, Lothian and Borders, West Midlands and British Transport Police.