Six still held after 'terror' raids
Six men arrested in connection with one of the most significant intelligence-led counter-terrorism operations this year remain in police custody.
The men were detained at or near their homes in Birmingham between Sunday night and Monday morning on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism in the UK, following a joint investigation by both police and MI5.
It is understood the investigation relates to suspected Islamist extremism, but it is not thought that an attack or threat was imminent.
A seventh person, a 22-year-old woman, who was arrested on suspicion of failing to disclose information contrary to the Terrorism Act 2000, was released on bail late on Monday night, police said.
Officers carried out searches at 14 properties in the city, including one commercial property, and investigations continue at 10 of those premises today, a force spokesman said.
A number of vehicles, computers and other items relevant to the investigation have been seized and are now being forensically examined.
The six men, aged between 25 and 32, were taken into custody in the Moseley, Sparkbrook, Sparkhill, Ward End and Balsall Heath areas of Birmingham .
The 22-year-old woman, from Saltley, Birmingham, was arrested on suspicion of failing to disclose information contrary to the Terrorism Act 2000.
West Midlands Police said the "large-scale operation" had been running for some time and had been subject to regular review, adding that the action was necessary "in order to ensure public safety".