Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Stranded Jungle migrants being housed in camp's church, says charity

Published 27/10/2016

The Jungle after a series of fires were started by migrants as they left the makeshift camp (AP)
The Jungle after a series of fires were started by migrants as they left the makeshift camp (AP)

Around 70 people facing a second night of sleeping rough around the Calais "Jungle" are being allowed into the camp's church and school, according to a charity.

Volunteers from Help Refugees said they are taking blankets and food to the stranded group - perhaps half of whom are children - as temperatures turn colder at night.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd has reminded French authorities of their duty to "properly protect" children, amid reports that youngsters were forced to sleep rough around the smouldering remains of the camp.

Charities also claimed several young people had been taken away by police on Thursday morning.

It is unclear whether the children were arrested, but volunteers said they had not seen them since.

It comes after French officials declared the clearance complete, with the site evacuated of 5,596 people since the operation began on Monday.

Dozens of unaccompanied children were exposed to "serious amounts of danger" in the process, a spokeswoman for Save the Children said, leading many to flee or exposing them to the risk of people smugglers.

A Home Office spokesman said: "The Home Secretary has today spoken again with her French counterpart Bernard Cazeneuve to stress the need for children who remain in Calais to be properly protected.

"Any child either eligible or not in the secure area of the camp should be cared for and safeguarded by the French authorities. We understand specialist facilities have been made available elsewhere in France to ensure this happens."

A total of 234 minors have been resettled to the UK since October 17, the French ministries of housing and the interior said.

Pascal Brice, head of the Office for Refugees and Stateless People, said on Wednesday that everybody leaving the camp had been registered at the processing centre on the edge of the site.

Despite this, campaigners said on Thursday that official estimates of the amount of people processed were lower than the total said to live in the camp, fuelling concerns thousands could be left in the area.

Press Association

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph