Stuart Hall charged with rapes
Veteran broadcaster Stuart Hall has been charged with the historic rapes of two girls.
Hall, 83, is serving a 30-month jail term for sexually abusing 13 victims, one as young as nine, over a period of nearly 20 years.
The latest fresh claims relate to two alleged victims aged between 11 or 12 and 16 at the time, said the Crown Prosecution Service.
Hall will appear at Preston Magistrates' Court on November 8, said the CPS.
Nazir Afzal, Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS North West, said: "Following a careful review, we have decided that there is sufficient evidence to prosecute Stuart Hall for 16 alleged sexual offences against two girls and that it is in the public interest to do so.
"It is alleged that Stuart Hall committed offences against one girl, aged between 14 and 16, from 1976 to 1978 and another girl, aged between 11 or 12 and 15, from 1976 to 1981.
"This decision to prosecute has been taken in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors, the CPS legal guidance on rape and sexual offences and the DPP's guidelines on prosecuting cases of child sexual abuse."
In relation to the first alleged victim aged between 14 and 16, Hall is charged with seven counts of rape in Manchester.
Hall is accused of eight counts of rape and one count of indecent assault against his second victim at various locations in Greater Manchester and Cheshire.
Mr Afzal added: "May I remind all concerned that Mr Hall has a right to a fair trial. It is very important that nothing is said, or reported, which could prejudice that trial. For these reasons, it would be inappropriate for me to comment further."
Hall, from Wilmslow, Cheshire, was taken from prison earlier today and questioned by detectives from Lancashire Constabulary.
Yesterday, it was confirmed the former It's A Knockout presenter had been stripped of his OBE for broadcasting and charity in the wake of his conviction for sex offences against children.
Hall was initially given a 15-month prison term at Preston Crown Court, but the Court of Appeal ruled that the sentence was "inadequate" and it was doubled in July.
Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge said his initial denials of his crimes were a ''seriously aggravating'' feature in the case.
In April, Hall, from Wilmslow, Cheshire, eventually admitted 14 counts of indecent assault against girls aged between nine and 17 and a reporting ban on his pleas was lifted the following month.
He had previously stridently condemned the accusations, which he labelled ''pernicious, callous, cruel and above all spurious''.
Hall, whose full name is James Stuart Hall, said he had endured ''a living nightmare'' and, but for his ''very loving family'', may have considered taking his own life.
He was a familiar face and voice in British broadcasting for half a century, and his eccentric and erudite football match summaries made him a cult figure on BBC Radio 5 Live.
He also wrote a weekly sport column for the Radio Times magazine up until his arrest.