Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Taylor Swift, Harry Styles and Niall Horan lead celeb tributes to Manchester concert victims

Stars of music, film and television have paid tribute to the victims of the Manchester Arena terror attack on Monday night.

At least 22 people have died and more than 59 are injured after an Ariana Grande concert was targeted in the city.

Gary Barlow, Olly Murs, Harry Styles, and Irish star Niall Horan are among those who have offered their shock and condolences on social media.

Horan old his followers on Twitter: "Absolutely horrendous what happened in Manchester tonight. My thoughts are with the great people of Manchester and also Ari and her team xx."

Take That singer and Manchester native Gary Barlow: "Sad, sad news from Manchester. Praying for all the victims and families involved."

Olly Murs wrote: "Shocked! Can't believe it!! Sending my love to everyone that was @ManchesterArena tonight!" He added: "No one should go to a concert and never come home."

Celebrities from the US and beyond also paid tribute to the victims, including Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Ellen DeGeneres, and Demi Lovato.

"My thoughts, prayers and tears for all those affected by the Manchester tragedy tonight. I'm sending all my love," Swift added, while Perry wrote: "Broken hearted for the families tonight. Broken hearted for Ari. Broken hearted for the state of this world."

Meanwhile, James Corden has paid an emotional tribute while presenting The Late Late Show in the US.

He said: “It shocks me every time we hear this sort of news that attacks like this can happen, but especially when there will be so many children at this concert tonight.

“And I’m telling you, a more tight-knit group of people you will be hard pressed to find. Strong, proud, caring people with community at its core.

“And if it was even possible, the spirit of the people of Manchester will grow even stronger this evening. My thoughts and prayers are with the everyone in Manchester tonight.”

Read more: Emmerdale star Isabel Hodgins gives eyewitness account of Manchester terror attack

He said viewers in the US would have heard of the city for “many wonderful things”, including its two leading football teams and bands such as Oasis and Joy Division.

“It was the birthplace of the leader of the suffragettes. It’s the home of the inventor of the first computer. It’s a place full of comedy and curries and character,” he added.

The incident is thought to have happened at around half past ten shortly after Grande left the stage following her final song of the night.

Concert-goers describe hearing a loud bang before the crowd began heading for the exits.

Grande later told her fans on social media: "Broken. From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don't have words."

Grande’s management team, Scooter Braun Projects, said they had been left heartbroken by the incident and praised the actions of Manchester’s emergency services.

They said in a statement: “Words cannot express our sorrow for the victims and families harmed in this senseless attack.

“We mourn the lives of children and loved ones taken by this cowardly act.

Read more: GMB's Susanna Reid breaks down live on air over Manchester terror attack

“We are thankful for the selfless service tonight of Manchester’s first responders who rushed toward danger to help save lives.

“We ask all of you to hold the victims, their families, and all those affected in your hearts and prayers.”

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph