Teenage girl dies after adverse reaction to suspected legal high
The girl was found unconscious in a Newton Abbot park and later died in hospital.
A 15-year-old girl has died after suffering an adverse reaction from a suspected “legal high”, police said.
The girl was found unconscious in Bakers Park in Newton Abbot, Devon, in the early hours of Saturday,
She was taken to Torbay District Hospital at around 4.50am, where she later died.
Enquiries are underway following the death of a teenage girl in Newton Abbot in the early hours of this morning. https://t.co/wwl4W3z5Mf— DevonCornwall Police (@DC_Police) July 15, 2017
Two other teenage girls were also taken to hospital as “a precaution”.
A Devon and Cornwall Police spokesman said: “Police currently believe that the 15-year-old girl who died had taken a new psychoactive substance, more commonly referred to as ‘legal highs’, and had suffered adverse reaction.”
The family of the teenager have been told of her death.
Police have appealed for witnesses, including anyone who has any information about the incident or was in Bakers Park in the early hours of this morning, to come forward.
Police urge those with information to come forward following death of a teenager in Newton Abbot who had taken NPS https://t.co/kt2yOqQSbM— DevonCornwall Police (@DC_Police) July 15, 2017
The two other girls, who have now left hospital, were checked out because police believed they “may have ingested the same illegal substances”, Det Supt Ken Lamont told Sky News.
He warned people against taking these drugs, stating: “It is a big appeal to the community. You do not know what you are taking.
“These drugs are highly dangerous, you don’t know what the reaction is going to be from person to person. And whatever the brand name or substance, it is just very dangerous to take them.”