Terror hotline charges boy in court
A teenager has appeared in court charged with two offences by police investigating hoax calls to a Scotland Yard counter-terror hotline.
A 17-year-old boy from Birmingham was remanded on bail, a court official said.
The youth is accused of conspiracy to cause a public nuisance and an offence under the Computer Misuse Act, a Scotland Yard spokesman said.
The hearing was at Westminster Magistrates' Court in London. An official there said it had been hosting Hammersmith Youth Court and the boy would appear next at that youth court on the afternoon of May 25. He was given conditional bail.
The Yard's Central e-Crime Unit has said it was aware hoaxers had made calls to the hotline and made recordings of their conversations with anti-terrorist hotline staff.
The Yard said on Friday that a 16-year-old boy who was also held on Thursday night had been bailed to return to a police station in the West Midlands pending further inquiries.
A statement added: "Public reporting is an important part of the fight against terrorism and any attempt to disrupt this service will be investigated thoroughly."